Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Interview: 10 minutes with J-MARTINS


He was recently honored alongside actor Jim Iyke at the Cameroon Entertainment Awards held at the prestigious Cramton Auditorium in Washington DC weeks ago. Pop-high life singer- producer Martins Okey better known as JMartins is one of the few Nigerian artist that explores the deepest part of their creative ability just to deliver good and quality sounds. Signed under  Efe Omoroegbe's owned Now muzik management, J-martins is an exceptional being when it comes to celebrating the African genre of music. A happily married man with notable awards to his credits and charts bursting songs, his profile keeps rising up both local and internationally. I was priviledged to spend 20 miutes with the "Good or Bad" crooner and words can't qualify how deeply impressed I was with his delivery.

Excerpt:
You have been able to feature 2 big African artist on your songs, how did it happen and what were the challenges you faced?
Fally Ipupa and I have been friends since way back when he was still with Koffi Olomide fine tuning his act, so hooking him up on a track was not difficult at all. We had played wit the idea severally in time past. I guess the usual challenge is the logistics of the recording process which technology has made much easier now. Same with Cabo Snoop, they are both easy going people. Much of the challenges were at the video shoot stage, in all I will say it went pretty smooth.

What's your view about the saying that your songs are not for theNigeria market and that you have focused on the Africa and international market?
To the best of my knowledge, Nigeria is in Africa and a lot of these African countries are feeling Nigerian music. 2Face, P Square, Flavour and a host of Nigerian artistes are well accepted outside the chores of Nigeria.  I wouldn't say I do music for a particular people, I just make good music and hope people get to listen and appreciate it irrespective of who they are and their geographical location. Anyways, I'm grateful for the love I'm receiving from my African brothers and even Europe and America.

What has kept you believing in your type of music and how has it been?
The journey has been both exciting and challenging but we bless God for his guidance, support and the vision. We just try to keep it simple and infusing a bit of our identity.  I believe with God all
things are possible.

What is the biggest thing you have acquired as a musician?
By the grace of God the music is putting food on our table, shelterover our head and a lot of things that makes us comfortable in life,so we bless God. I think the biggest thing I've gotten from this gift of God is the fan base which is growing by the day.

What is best you have been paid as a performer?
I will need the assistance of my management ( Now Muzik ) to answer that question. Anyways, we dey try and I believe the sky is the limit.

Has fame changed you and what's your take on popular believe that fame changes most artistes?
Fame and Change! By the grace of God I'm still myself. There are heights we still wish to attain, so, heads down and work in progress. By the special grace of God we will get to where God has prepared for us. Then again, I cannot judge myself, it's the people out there who can really say if J Martins has changed (for good or bad).

Thank yoy for your time Jmartin
You're welcome, the pleasure is mine.

Interview by Edward Fortune | ShowbixHYB









No comments: